Thursday, June 11, 2009

Two Months and Growing




Well, turning 2 Months is hard work! We had Braylin's checkup. Her stats are as follows: Height-25 1/4 inches (In the 97th Percentile!!) Weight- 12 lbs 10 oz WHAT A BIG GIRL!!

That was the easy part. None of us had prepared for the shots. (Next time I am making Joel take her.) In my mind I didn't think shots were going to be a big deal. When we were in the hospital, they gave her the vitamin K shot, poked her heels several times, and pumped her stomach without any complaint. Here I was thinking I had the toughest baby girl in the whole world. Right before the nurse gave the first shot, she assured me it was okay if I cried. "Lots of moms do", she told me. I was thinking, "Ha- that is ridiculous. I will be fine and so will Braylin." When she stabbed Braylin with that first shot, Braylin instantly looked at me like I had betrayed her and screamed a scream I may never forget. Her face was BRIGHT red, she wasn't breathing, tears were STREAMING down her chubby cheeks- It was like I was hit with a curve ball I never saw coming. I kept using self talk to get me through, "Keep it together,Jane. Keep it together." It didn't help. We both stayed in that room and cried and cried. THANK YOU Tylenol for making a dosage for the tiny people. It was the only way she made it through yesterday.

Besides the traumatic dr. appointment, turning 2 months is a great milestone. Braylin now smiles, laughs, and she has found her little hands. I will wake up in the night listening to her slurping on them (kinda gross, but I can't stop her!) She is working on rolling her legs over, holding her head up, and she tries to scoot on her belly like a worm.

There is so much to tell about our Texas trip, but it is going to have to wait for another time. With so much going on in our lives, I have to focus on one thing at a time. So, HAPPY 2 MONTHS LITTLE BRAYLIN GIRL! You are loved by so so many people!

post signature

7 comments:

  1. Oh! I am sure that would make me cry. I have decided there is nothing that can't make me cry anymore...I almost cried just reading your post!

    I love Braylin's sweet smile! She is a darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shots are always hard. I don't think you can ever be prepared for that first time of seeing your baby so upset and crying! One trick I've always done it give them some Tylenol an hour or so before their appointment so they already have it in their system - it seems to make "shot day" a little more bearable.
    She is a little cutie-pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first appointment with shots is always the hardest. It is overwhelming how much your heart can hurt for your children, huh? It opens up a whole new world of hurt you never knew you could feel; hence the "curveball" you mentioned. The good news is that Braylin has totally forgotten about it already, and I am sure she is smiling her toothless grin and having a great day wrapping her daddy around her little finger!! And, Heather is right: Giving Tylenol beforehand really helps. Another little trick I learned from my OBGYN is to dip a pacifier in sugar right before they give the shot and let baby suck the sugar off it. Usually they are soooo happy with this new divine taste that the shot hardly bothers them, if at all. I will tell you though, the trick worked better for Grant than Rhett. But even though Rhett still cried, it wasn't for very long, and it made me feel better knowing that I could shove something in his mouth that would soon make him happy again. (Nothin' like givin' your kid a dose of sugar, huh??!! ha ha) My doc used the trick whenever she circumsized (sp? I'm soooo NOT looking that one up right now)newborns which I TOTALLY appreciated since they don't numb "the area" prior to the procedure. So yes, do the Tylenol and sugared paci trick, and all should be well for Braylin. Too bad there isn't a remedy like that for mommies on Shot Day... chocolate, maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the shots were so tough! She has already forgotten, though, you know?! I'm so glad we got to meet Braylin. She is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately seeing your sweet baby get shots, IVs, be in pain, etc... does not get any easier (at least not the time they are 4 months). But so glad to hear things are going well with your angel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how I feel your pain! There is no worse feeling than the one that comes with that look your baby can give you when they get a shot. Poor Braylin...and Mommy! :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grrrr! Shots!

    My goodness, she looks like you in those pics! She's a beaut!

    ReplyDelete